HOME Korean BuddhismBuddhist Essays

Buddhist Essays List

Total 143. 7 page
Buddhist Essays List
No Subject / Topic Date Read
53 Why Practice Buddhism? I have news for you young people: something bad will happen to you in your lifetime. It could be anything—a breakup, a loved one dying, a car accident—but for sure, something really awful will come your way, if it hasn’t already. That 17 Oct 2006 5,994
52 The connection between fasting and seon meditation “Through mistaken desire, we ruin our lives. If we can reduce our appetites, we can also control our desires.”   Because we have only one life to live, we don’t know what to do.   In Milan Kundera’s The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the evanescence o 10 Oct 2006 5,926
51 Letters Exchanged between Master Seongcheol, Prof.… Werner Bieder, Theology Professor of the University of Bazel visited Master Seongcheol in 1972 with Gyutae Son. After meeting, they corresponded with Seongcheol about Buddhism. 05 Oct 2006 5,844
50 Anyone can do it if it means just sitting there an… After the morning prayer chanting, I sit on the cushion to start meditation. But every time drowsiness gets the upper hand. I can overcome sleepiness when meditation goes well, but when the hwadu is not quite working, I have to lie on my back. We heard 25 Sep 2006 5,842
49 Mixed Vegetables with Rice The preparation and taking of temple food is different from that of ordinary food. The cooking process is like that of making medicine: extracting the poisonous elements from wild plants, and then enriching the plants to a high value of nutrition. The way 20 Sep 2006 5,955
48 [Review] Finding a Joyful life in the Heart of Pai… In Finding a Joyful Life in the Heart of Pain, Darlene Cohen, a Zen priest and meditation teacher, who has suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for twenty-three years shows us how to deal with chronic pain. 13 Sep 2006 6,100
47 Restlessness At a red light. At a bus stop. In line at the store. While someone fills the tank with gas. Walking to class. What do these moments have in common? They are all moments in which we find ourselves waiting, a dead space, a moment of no purposeful activity, 07 Sep 2006 6,087
46 Only This; That Is All. The following is a part of Dharma talks exchanged between the late Supreme Patriarch Seoam and his disciples, collected in the book "Sound without Sound" compiled by the disciples. 30 Aug 2006 6,439
45 Dharma Talk of the Supreme Patriarch upon Dismissi… Master Baoyun (Boun in Korean pronunciation), who lived at the Mountain Luzu in Chizhou district, Anhui province, immediately turned around and sat facing the wall, whenever a monk visited him. Then the monk had to leave. Master Nanquan Puyuan heard about 18 Aug 2006 6,306
44 A farewell is a beautiful teaching Rain is falling, and with it autumn leaves, indicating that winter is soon at hand. The rain falls at Sudeoksa Temple, deep in the mountains, on the funeral of an old Seon Master. One after another, the rains fall in sheets, like a summer monsoon, and eve 17 Aug 2006 5,835
43 Contemplation of Sutra in the Seon School During Ven. Jiyul’s hunger strike, for the first time in years I had the chance to recite the Diamond Sutra communally. On the second floor of the Hall of Paradise at Jogyesa, the Union of Religious Leaders held a separate one-week hunger strike, while su 10 Aug 2006 5,880
42 [Book Review] Zen and Psychotherapy In Zen and Psychotherapy, Christopher Mruk, A professor of clinical psychology, and Joan Hartzell, a psychiatric nurse and practitioner of Zen for many years, explore how Buddhist and Zen ideas could help in the healing of mental health patients. 02 Aug 2006 5,395
41 Nothing is Routine One of the thrills of being a young adult is that everything is a first-time experience. My first real job I bounded to with enthusiasm. My first short haircut and manicure felt amazing. My first true love, first kiss, first skinny-dipping in a mountain l 25 Jul 2006 5,479
40 [Poem] War and God? War is killing, And some people pray to God to win a war, Declare war in the name of God. That’s sacrilege and nonsense.No God helps people kill People.If there really is such an evil God,He deserves to be called th Devil,Devil-God. God is your mind,Not 18 Jul 2006 5,410
39 A Stranger in His Hometown The supreme, profound, and sublime dharma is difficult to meet even in a billion eons. But now I have been fortunate enough to have seen it, heard it, received it and kept it. I vow to attain the true meaning of the Tathagata. Homage to the dharmas that 12 Jul 2006 6,041
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Search
컨텐츠 상단으로 이동